Friday, March 10, 2017

CBC Searchlight - Claire Ness


We had a nice chat with Claire Ness about her entry into this years CBC Searchlight contest. Hailing from Whitehorse, shes bringing her unique brand of Folk-Jazz-Blues-Swing-Country to the rest of Canada.

Hammer Records: Is this the first time you’ve entered into the CBC Spotlight Contest?
Claire: This is my third time entering Searchlight. This is by far the most stressful time I entered Searchlight. Haha! I have a 10 month old baby now, and I was preparing for the release of my new album "On the Trail". Added to that was the fact I don't have the internet right now so I ended up parked outside my friend's house at -30C, hijacking her internet while the baby slept in the back, in order to upload my video for the deadline. I had almost given up, but then my umpteenth try finally worked! All to say, getting past all the obstacles made this year felt like the first time.

Hammer Records: Which of the prizes are you most excited about?
Claire: Wow. Well they are all such incredible prizes. I think I am most excited about the Banff residency. Although, a shitload of money and equipment is always appreciated too.

Hammer Records: How would you describe your music to a brand new listener?
Claire: Country meets jazz cabaret. Roots Ragtime. Bluesy folk.

Hammer Records: What made you pick the piece of music/video to enter?
Claire: I chose my song "Waffle Boarding" - a hockey themed song - because I felt like it would reach out to the bulk of Canadians eh! Plus it's just such a fun little video.

Hammer Records: If you could send a message to the judges, what would it be?
Claire: I am grateful for the opportunity to have my work seen and heard nationally. And thank you for choosing me as one of the TOP 10 from the North!

To find out more about Claire Ness, go to her Facebook page here:
 https://www.facebook.com/clairenessmusic/

1 comment:

  1. Claire Ness Rocks! Waffle Boarding: my 6 year old nephew sings along on his way to the rink! My 91 year old mother in law asks me to put it on. A catchy tune loved by all. Claire's a simply an extraordinary songwriter/performer, with an above excellent band, and that voice!!! Yet another CD with no mediocre tracks on any of them. Yay Claire Ness!

    ReplyDelete