Wednesday, March 8, 2017

CBC Searchlight - Sarah Jickling And Her Good Bad Luck

We had a nice chat with Sarah Jickling (former lead singer of the Oh Wells), about her entry into the CBC Spotlight and her thoughts on the contest.

Hammer Records: Is this the first time you’ve entered into the CBC Spotlight Contest?
Sarah: This is the first time I've entered the CBC Searchlight Contest. I generally tend to stay away from voting contests. I've been in a band since I was in high school, and I think after seven years your friends and family don't have a lot of energy to be voting every day. But I thought, I've got a new solo project, a new single, and my first solo album won't be out until June, so why not see what happens?


Hammer Records: Which of the prizes are you most excited about?
Sarah: I would be very excited to perform at the CBC Music Festival in Toronto. Live performance is my happy place, where I'm not worrying about mistakes I've made in the past or how I'm going to handle things in the future. And of course, the opportunity to perform in front of a brand new audience is always exciting. You never know who will be in the crowd!


Hammer Records: How would you describe your music to a brand new listener?
Sarah: Maybe...."Light hearted pop with heavy things to say." I've also been described as Regina Spektor meets Lorde with an Amanda Palmer attitude, for those who prefer music references.


Hammer Records: What made you pick the piece of music/video to enter?
Sarah: My single "Valentine" was released on World Bipolar Day, and is in reference to my struggles with bipolar disorder. It's an ode to those people in my life, and in the lives of every person living with a mental illness, who never leave. I directed and edited the video myself with the help of my boyfriend at the Vancouver Public Library, and I'm pretty proud of it. Arthur wasn't kidding when he said "having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card."


Hammer Records: If you could send a message to the judges, what would it be?
Sarah: If I were to win, the real prize would be reaching more people who connect with my music. I work with Reach Out Psychosis, a group that travels to high schools educating teenagers on mental health through music and dance. When I meet these kids and have an opportunity to help them get through things that I've already gone through, I am reminding why I decide again and again to choose this challenging career. I have something to say, and I want to say it to all those people out there who need to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment